Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 8. Gods.

Psalm 86:8
Among the gods there is none like you, Lord;
no deeds can compare with yours.

The word "gods" confused me at first, but I guess there are a lot of gods these days too--Buddha, Allah, Krishna, Kobe Bryant. If you call yourself a Christian, none of the aforementioned are the God, and one of them is actually a criminal.But I won't say which one. But I think on a more personal level, we have our own gods. Things that we cling onto so tightly, things that we love more than the God we profess to worship, things like comfort, money, relationships, reputation, security, safety, and ourselves.

David says there is no god like THE God; they can't do what he can do. I don't think I ever give God the chance to show me how satisfying he can be. I wanna see him take care of me, but I'd much rather go to the doctor. I wanna see him provide for me, but I like having a chunk of cash in my wallet and a bank account with some backup money. I wanna see God make me happy, but I look to friends, videogames, the Warriors, and shopping for that (Ok, the Warriors don't make me happy very often anymore). But honestly, when does God ever get to do anything for me?

Nothing can take the place of God, but everything in my life has become a substitute for him. No wonder I don't understand true joy. No wonder I'm not always content with my relationship with God. I barely know him. I just know the things that have taken his place.

What gods do you worship?

No comments: