Friday, February 27, 2009

Day 3. 24/7.

Psalm 86:3
You are my God; have mercy on me, Lord,
for I call to you all day long.

Foreals David? Really now? All day long? Don't you have better stuff to do? Like, I dunno, rule your kingdom? You can't be calling out to God 24/7. That's just ridiculous. David, you fool.

So like, I've never really been good at praying. It's always been a struggle for me to just sit still and pray. Sometimes I hear about people praying for hours and hours and I just think, Shizz dude, it's challenging enough for me to pray for a good ten minutes without being distracted or having my thoughts wander...

check out this KyOoT picture

Now that I think of it, I don't know if I could do anything all day long. I remember playing Madden for maybe like up to eight hours per day back in high school, so that's close. Last year, I had so much reading for Ethnic Studies10a that I seriously read for a week straight. That freakin sucked. I really don't think there are many things out there that I can do all day long. Hmm... lemme think for sec... No. Nothing. Nothing that can be done all day long.

I think how we spend our time is a reflection of our priorities. I like how David probably has all these kingly duties to take care of (polishing his crown, dry cleaning his robes), but decides to spend his time calling out to God.

I admit, speaking to an unseen God is not an easy thing to do. Maybe that's just a reflection of a weak faith, but I definitely don't have it all figured out. I think when the verse says that David called out to God all day long, I don't think he was just on his knees all day. It definitely could be the case, but maybe he was talking to God while he was going about his day. Maybe his actions were a cry out to God. Maybe God was on his mind all day long while he was doing whatever kings do. I dunno.

Now that I think of it, if I really like a girl, I could possibly spend all day chillin with her (lame, I know). I think my ability to spend time with God is contingent on my love relationship with him. The unfortunate thing about that is that we cannot will ourselves to love God more... it takes time and understanding and it can't be quantified easily like the amount of time you spend praying.

So I guess my question is, how in love with God are you?
And just for fun, are there any things that you would do for 24hours straight?

No comments: